INTERREG III Italy-Albania C.E.RA.T.O.N.I.A. Project 2000-2006C.E.RA.T.O.N.I.A. Project (Conservation of Endemic RArities and Transborder Organism for Nature of Italy and Albania).
The Community of Mediterranean Universities has coordinated the CERATONIA Project as Leader Partner. The Project has been realized together with:
- Minister of Environment, Forest and Water Management, Republic of Albania;
- University of Bari, Dep. “Biology, Agro-forest and Enviromental Chemistry”;
- University of Salento, Dep. “Biological Science and Environmental Technologies”;
- University of Tirana, Faculty of Natural Science, Botanic Garden;
- Academy of Science of Tirana;
- Agronomic Mediterranean Institute of Bari-IAMB (Italian branch of the International Centre for Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies – CIHEAM, Paris).
The main tasks and deliverables are:
- To Arrange a memorandum of understanding among the potential involved institutions (Republic of Albania, Regione Puglia, Municipality of Tirana);
- To Prepare an Intergovernmental Agrement (draft);
- To Start the proceedures to approve the above mentioned documentation;
- To design a project of the Intergovernmental Mediterranean Organization Research Centre and Office (IMO);
- To write some reports about genetic resources and vegetal biodiversity.
In particular, the draft-project is formed by:
- The construction plan (management offices, laboratories and cells, conservation areas);
- The equipment plan (list and characteristics of the general and specific equipments);
- The action plan (number, organization and functions of the staff);
- The financial plan (investment cost: € 5.592.000; management cost: € 1.125.000/year; staff nr: 25 people, 90% researchers).
The results obtained are the following:
- Conservation of genetic resources;
- Reproduction and economic employment of selected vegetal species;
- Formulation of catalogues of procedures, rules and treatments to ensure the reproduction of the same species;
- Diffusion of selected species in the Mediterranean countries;
- Application of best practices and procedures among public/private bodies.